Strange Horizons Submission Guidelines
Each department has its own separate submission guidelines. For information about submitting work to a particular department, follow the appropriate link:
- Art: how to submit art galleries and illustrations.
- Fiction: how to submit prose short stories.
- Non-Fiction: how to submit essays, interviews, round-tables or columns.
- Poetry: how to submit SF, fantasy, horror, and "slipstream" verse.
- Podcasts: how to audition as a podcast reader.
- Reviews: how to submit or request reviews of works of speculative art and entertainment (especially books, films, and games).
- Works to be reviewed: how to ask the Reviews editors to write a review of your book or other work.
Submissions to Strange Horizons may be retained in our archives for editorial reference, but are treated as confidential correspondence.
We do not, however, guarantee absolute confidentiality. We may release material to the following parties in the following circumstances:
- If the magazine receives material containing explicit threats, either towards members of staff or other individuals, in the form of a submission or as other communication, we may share such material with legal authorities;
- In an investigation of a specific incident of harassment or abuse, initiated by a third party organisation (for example, a publisher or a convention committee), which specifically involves a work that has been submitted to Strange Horizons or material present in communication with Strange Horizons, we may consider sharing a copy of that work or communication with the relevant organisation;
- We will comply with duly authorised subpoenas requesting material in our possession.
We will notify the author(s) involved if we share any of their work under these provisions.